11 March, 2006

Timmy

There are a lot of people named Tim in my life- I just thought of 7 different Tims in less than 10 seconds. But my brother Tim is (of course) the most important. For some reason we don’t stay in touch very well, and that is no good. This has been on my mind for a while, and thinking about Tim has revived quite a few memories. I’d like to share a few here so that those of you who want a reason to kill 5 minutes or so of paid company time can do that and learn more about my brother while you’re at it.

When we were little (roughly 4 and 6 years old) we liked to pretend that he was the dad and I was the daughter (he would call me “honey” and I called him "dad"- we didn't really have names) and we would go on adventures. Whenever we got hungry we would go to “Millie’s Restaurant” (the kitchen) and order food from Millie (my mom).

























Later on (7 and 9 years old), we would pretend that we were much older, “teenagers” actually. We were still brother and sister, but his name would invariably be Brian (an older cousin we admired) and I would usually go by Stacy or Christy (no explanation, I think I thought they sounded sophisticated or something). We usually just did this when we were playing basketball together, to make it more exciting than just playing boring 7-9 year old one-on-one in the driveway. This was also the period in which we both saved up our money and bought an original Nintendo Entertainment System (with Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt) together- these are the only video games I’ve ever gotten any good at.

When we moved to the country a few years later (about 9 and 11) we spent many, many hours making forts and shelters in the woods, aided only by our trusty Swiss army knives. On particularly rainy days, we often roller-bladed around the basement or the attic and argued over whether the radio should be set to the oldies station (97.3 KBSG) or the country station (94.1 KMPS). Sometimes we practiced kick-boxing, as well, but these were always friendly (if spirited) matches. Around this time we also developed a solid routine of making lunch (tuna sandwiches, egg salad sandwiches, or macaroni and cheese were our specialties) and watching Matlock every single weekday, 12:00-1:00. This was one of the primary joys of the home-schooling lifestyle.

There are so many more weird and funny things we did together, but most are too hard to describe in writing, and this post is pretty long already. So, yeah, that’s about it. I miss you, Tim!!!

No comments:

 

DeepThoughtsByJackHandey.com